Wednesday, June 30, 2010

When the student is ready the teacher will appear....


If you've been reading this blog you've probably figured out that I'm on my journey toward self improvement; mentally, physically, emotionally, spiritually, financially, etc. All of these things are equally important , but money even more than my weight seems to be a challenge. I've done OK financially and it seems like the more i make, the more i spend, and the less i have to show for it. It's been so long since I've lived frugally (late teens early 20's), I question - Can i live that way again? I've decided that i can and made a strict budget for myself out of necessity and a willingness to change.

I decided to cut my spending allowance to $40 per week or $160 a month. I'm going to pay my bills, allot a portion to debt, and save - end of story. I love to read and it's funny how this budget is changing the way I read. I'm at Barnes & Noble reading a chapter of my current book of interest durning lunch ( everyday). I'm also combing my bookshelves for books that I haven't read and reading them - a long way from my book a week allowance. I think twice about things that were never an issue; eating out, movies (inexpensive), going out for drinks even during happy hour, impromptu bus trip, etc. The point is within the confinement of this budget, I now have to analyze the true value of things I want in my life. I know this may sound corny but have a better appreciation for life as well.

I'm learning alot about what I find important , finding free entertainment in NYC ( not hard), cooking more, working out , and have become more productive in a short period of time. The universe is also conspiring to help me. My Ex - boyfriend called and suggested Simply Mobile a way to cut my phone bill in half; unlimited text, phone, web for $60 versus the $125 per month, i currently pay. I turned on the TV and found The Best Of Oprah; Debt Diet part 2 and 5, admission of debt, committing to changing, steps taken to change, and the end result - twice in a week. The most informative and amazing thing about watching the debt diet episodes was the way tackling this burden affected the families. They became closer from having to work together and figure out ways to bring in extra cash, save money, entertain themselves, etc. Different couples discussed being on the brink of divorce due to money fights , horrible communication, etc , post debt diet now described their marriages as stronger than ever - quality of life improved. I also picked up a magazine and ran across an article proclaiming " money doesn't buy happiness nor do things" - duh. All of these tools and tidbits are keeping me motivated and excited about my lifestyle change.

I'm getting so much help along the way; suggestions on money saving websites ( Pulse JFK.com, and Restaurant.com), invited to a home cooked dinner twice this week, offered groceries, took the initiative to volunteer at the local YMCA and was offered swim lessons, inspiring shows, etc. The teacher has appeared and I'm appreciative. The funny thing is I haven't told anyone that I'm doing this , this blog that no ones reading doesn't count :). I'm afraid that I'm not going to be able to keep this up but God knows that I'm trying and taking this one day at a time. I'm feeling confident, inspired, and renewed. I hope you catch the bug too.....

No comments:

Post a Comment