Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Saturn Returns - New Beginning’s

My ex- boyfriend introduced me to the astrologer’s term “Saturn Returns” which occurs every 29.5 years. Saturn completes its cycle through your birth chart and returns to the spot it occupied when you were born – that’s how it got its clever name. The first Saturn returns between the ages of 28 -30 years old, a person leaves youth behind and enters adulthood. Second cycle occurs between the age of 58 -60 and represents maturity. The final cycle unless you’re lucky and live to be 118 years old, occurs between 86-88 and represents entrance into wise old age.

The first period is considered one of the most important times in a person’s life. It’s similar to shedding skin, a time of endings and new beginnings. Skye Alexander wrote a great article on this period - Saturn Return: The Twenty-Ninth Year


“Saturn strips away illusions and points out limitations, allowing you to view yourself in a harsh, often unflattering light. At the same time, it endows you with prudence, practicality, and the perseverance to work hard toward achieving your purposes. Consequently, this is a good time to rearrange your career or lay the foundation for a new one.

Saturn Return almost always requires some major adjustments in lifestyle, attitudes, and relationships. Anything you have outgrown, or have tolerated but not found satisfying, must end now or be altered to meet your emerging needs. According to Hand, "Consciously or unconsciously, you are pruning your life of everything that is not relevant to what you really are as a human being."

Often interpersonal relationships are deeply affected by Saturn Return. Gail Sheehy writes in Passages: Predictable Crises in Adult Life that during this period "Almost everyone who is married will question that commitment." The U.S. Census Bureau lists the peak divorce years as ages twenty-eight to thirty. Some people experience more subtle or private adjustments in their patterns of relating, such as shifts in responsibilities. Many couples decide to become parents, not only altering their relationships but their financial obligations and perhaps their vocations as well.
If a relationship is sound, based on mutual respect, honesty, and sharing, it will probably survive the test of Saturn Return and become even stronger. But a relationship begun before the partners knew what they really wanted is likely to fall apart. Relationships that start during this period may have a "fated" or "karmic" quality about them.”



I’m going to be 30 years old in six months and 2008 -2010 has been the most intense years of my life; my fiancee and I broke up, I moved out of our apartment, started a new job, ended toxic friendships, doomed/reinvented myself financially, experimented with hedonism / restriction, endured major changes within with my family unit, tried new things, felt an intense desire to explore different religions, question my beliefs, etc. Things I believed a couple years earlier have been challenged and it’s all been for the purpose of creating a better me. Lessons that I was supposed to learn about trusting my intuition that I chose to ignore have been reiterated in painful ways. I decided to start this blog to document the final months of entering adulthood.

The books, movies, people, experiences, political stances, community issues, and gray arrears that are currently affecting me and shaping the woman – I’m becoming. My transformation has been frustrating, painful, scary and a test in faith but I’m growing and only in growing do we achieve true happiness – right?

So, enjoy the ride……

No comments:

Post a Comment